Sometimes we get an error when we try to copy or write some data on a USB Drive or a memory card. This is because the pen drive may be write protected. Many reasons can cause this problem and hence many solutions.
1. First of all try to locate a small switch (if any, that you may have not noticed) at some place on the drive or memory card reader. This is the prime reason for this error. If there is one, switch it to the other side to turn the protection off.
2. The problem can also be caused by some virus activity so just get it scanned by some updated good antivirus which may solve your problem.
3. Download HDD Low Level Format Tool 4.25 and run it to execute a “low-level format”on the drive. This may take few attempts to actually remove the error.
After the low level format, you may need to “Partition the drive“. Dont worry, partitioning a pen drive meansallocating it its File System and Cluster Size that was lost after the Low Level Format.
For that :
- Run diskmgmt.msc in Run (win +r).
- Now choose the File System and Allocation Unit Size and do not check the boxes below.
- Click OK and the drive will be reusable after this.
4. It may have been deliberately write protected by the earlier post How to write protect your pen drive. So follow the steps to step 5 in this post and change the value to 0 and its done.
[Note : If none of the methods listed above solves your problem then your pen drive might have gone corrupted, so just get it replaced]